Thursday 15 March 2012

Sweet Potato and Rosemary Soup



This is really simple soup, but then most soups are. I made this because I had a big sweet potato that I had had for ages and nothing to do with it, so I thought I would make some soup to take to lunch with me at work. Soup is a cheap and healthy lunch. 

Ingredients:

- 1 large Sweet Potato (peeled and chopped into chunks)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- A pint of Vegetable Stock
- tspn of Rosemary (fresh rosemary would be better but I only have dried herbs)
- Salt
- Pepper
- Double Cream

1. Finely chop an onion and put in a large pan with a little oil on a low heat. Let them soften for a few mins then add the crushed garlic.

2. Peel and chop the sweet potato into chunks. This may be hard as it seems a sweet potato is the Arnold Swarchenegger of the potato world. That or I am just weak, which I admit I am, I'm forever asking people to open jars for me. Add the chopped potato to the onions and garlic in the pan. Cook like that for a few mins.

3. Add the rosemary, salt and pepper and break a vegetable stock cube up into the pan. Add a pint of boiling water and let it simmer on a low heat with a lid on for 30 mins. 

4. Once its all cooked and the sweet potato is falling apart take it off the heat and use a hand held blender to blend the soup. Add however much you desire of double cream. If the soup is too thick either add more cream or just water. I don't like my soups really thick. 

Serve in a bowl with some garlic croutons on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment