Tuesday 20 March 2012

Goats Cheese and Caramelised Balsamic Red Onion Tart




This is one of my favourite dishes. I have only made it once before but I absolutely loved it, so I decided to make it again to share it with you guys. I must say it was even better this time round than the last time I made it. I made a slight amendment to the last time I made it an added a sprinkle of Rosemary on top of the tart after looking up goats cheese in "The Flavour Thesaurus" by Niki Segnit, a book my dad bought me for Christmas. In the book it recomended that goats cheese went really well with Rosemary, so I thought I would put a sprinkle of it on top of this tart and i'm really glad I did. Just like the book said these flavours complimented each other brilliantly, it tasted absolutely delicious.
Suprisingly this is actually a very easy recipe I'd say but looks and tastes fantastic. I recommend people to try it, you won't be disapointed.

Ingredients:

- Goats Cheese
- 4 Red Onions (sliced)
- 6 tbsps Balsamic Vinegar
- knob of Butter
- Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg or Milk
- sprinkle of Rosemary
- Salt
- Pepper

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7. Then the first thing is to caramelise the onions. Slice all onions and place them in a large pan and add a large knob of butter and 6 tbsps of balsamic vinegar. The first time I done this I was amazed to see that just by adding butter and balsamic vinegar to red onions you get these beautiful caramelised sweet sticky onions.


Let them simmer for about 10 mins until they are caramelised.



2. Roll out the puff pastry and score an inch around the edges.


3. Spoon the caramelised onions onto the puff pastry in the middle within the scored section.


4. Crumble the goats cheese all over the onions in the tart then sprinkle Rosemary on top and season with salt and pepper.



5. Brush either a beaten egg or some milk on the edges of the tart to make it go golden and crispy. Then place the tart in the oven for 10- 15 mins or until the edges are golden.


Take the tart out of the oven and its ready. I served mine with a babyleaf salad dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was so delicious I ate the whole lot on the plate below. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really yummy and something new to try. thanks for posting this up.


    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. it can also be made using electric smoker, that will add extra flavour to it.

    ReplyDelete