Thursday 15 March 2012

Smoked Haddock topped with a Poached Egg and Cheese Sauce


I had in my freezer a pack of smoked haddock with 2 large smoked haddock fillets in it, now since I'm only cooking for myself at the moment there was no way I could eat both so I thought about what  could do with the fillets. I cooked both of them and one of them I had for dinner topped with a poached egg and cheese sauce and the other fillet I made fishcakes out of for another day. The following post to this will describe how I made the fishcakes.
This post will explain how I made my dinner of smoked haddock topped with a poached egg and cheese sauce. The flavours all work together wonderfully, this is truly a delicious dish. The cheese sauce and the yolk from the poached egg really go well with the flavours of the smoked haddock.

Ingredients

- Smoked Haddock
- Milk
- 1-2 tsps of Flour
- Grated Cheese ( I used mature cheddar)
-  Butter
- 1 Egg
- Salt
- Pepper

1. Warm some milk and a spoonful of butter in a frying pan. You should use enough milk so it covers the most part of the fish. Place the fillets into the pan of hot milk and heat for about 10 mins until the fish is cooked.


2. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside. Use the milk used to cook the fish in to make the cheese sauce, this carries all the wonderful flavours from the smoked fish. Keeping the milk on the heat and stirring constantly with a whisk add a tsp of flour to thicken and whisk it all in.

3. Stir in the grated cheese and whisk in until its melted. At this stage if the sauce is not thick enough just add another tsp of flour and keep whisking until it is thick enough. Add salt and pepper and the sauce is made.


4. Boil some water in a saucepan for the poached egg. Add a tiny bit of vinegar to the water and spin the water around so as to keep the egg together. Crack the egg into the centre of the spinning boiling water and let it cook for a few mins.

5. While the egg is cooking plate up the rest of the food. I served this with mash potato and runner beans. I put the mash potato on the bottom of  plate, runner beans on top and then the smoked haddock. When the egg is done scoop it out with a big draining spoon and place on top of the fish. Pour the cheese sauce all over the egg and fish. Add some salt and pepper and its done :-)


1 comment:

  1. this is a good post, I enjoy reading your recipe.

    ReplyDelete